Looking to bring my sweety in to UO

Started by Huyubusa, April 27, 2008, 05:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huyubusa

Hello All, for those that don't know me I am huyubusa, I join GIL a few months back "but I am in the coast guard and left for deployment a few months ago, I will be back sometime in May" I have been playing UO since 1999, off and on. I was on the altic shard and came to SP a few month ago" when I not play UO I been playing WOW with my wife. the guild we are in is slowly falling apart, most of the people she plays with left or quit playing. I am trying to get her to come over to UO. she gets board with WOW some time and like to take a break and try something new. I have a second account I set up a year ago I can reactivate so she can make a SP alt. I will talk with shal and get her into NEW, but I would like to know if anyone would have some idea on what skills she should take. I am a rouge, mostly lock picking stealth, fencing, tact. are what I use. she has been playing MMO back when EQ1 can out, and EQ2 and WOW. she has playing Ultima IX so she know a bit on the Ultima Lore and the land. but I want to get he  alt she can enjoy. I was thinking of a tamer skill, with archer, healing and maybe magery. in most other RPGMMO she has been, ranger or shammy type classes. she enjoys having pets and healing/ suporting a party. I know UO are a very wide ranger on what you can do, I am just trying to get some inport on skills she can use to enjoy the game make is a bit easy till she gets past the UO learing curve. any in put will be greatfull

Calibretto

More players would be great.

UO is much more in depth than WOW IMO.

Blind Otto

Healing is always a good skill to have, although it can be hard to apply a bandage to another person in the heat of battle! Magery-based healing has a greater range, for such things.

As for the animal-related skills, animal taming can take quite a while to train, mostly because of the joys of finding the right 'level' of animal to train, depending on how high thy skill is. Still, once trained, it is a very effective skill. I recommend that, if ye wish to train animal taming, ye take the full 'package' - namely animal taming, animal lore, and veterinary. Lore helps ye to control thy pets to a greater degree, and without vet, ye will be forever seeking the aid of another to resurrect thy pets after a battle.

Archery without anatomy or tactics is fairly ineffective nowadays. Take a look at the various calculators on Stratics to see what I mean. Without anatomy, thy healing ability (save for mage-related healing) is reduced drastically, as well. However, all of these inter-dependent skills mean that thy template becomes rapidly full, and ye have no room for more skills!

So, I suggest the following:

120 Animal Taming
120 Animal Lore
120 Veterinary
(note that these three will enable thy better half to have up to 14 creatures in the stable)
120 Healing
120 Anatomy
(this will give ye the maximum healing ability.
Remember that dexterity affects the speed at which ye heal)
120 Magery

An alternative to the 120 magery is to take just 80 in magery, and use gate scrolls to travel.
Then, put the other 40 points into focus or meditation, to regenerate thy mana.

Another alternative would be to take 120 Spellweaving. That would give ye the abilities to heal thyself and thy pets, resurrect thyself and thy pets, have monsters ignore thee, and cast a variety of offensive spells without the need for reagents.

I hope that was of some help!

Blind Otto
Knight Commander
Knights of the Silver Serpent

Hoffs

Hi again Huyubusa.

Good advice from Otto, but I do somewhat wonder about using healing and anatomy with the tamer. They do seem to limit you a bit compared to other skills available. For healing, I think you would be better with meditation to support the magery and then something like wrestling or hiding for defensive purposes, or even eval to pack a punch sans the pets. Spellweaving is nice but ideally requires soulstones for best effect.

Calibretto

I wouldn't suggest going on foot (greater dragons)  without Ninja.^^

Vortex

For a true ranger class, I would do this...

120 taming
110 animal lore
100 vet
120 archery
100 magery
100 med
70 chiv

Go elf and use stats of 85 str 100 int 70 dex.
That is assuming you would not be spending time in pvp. It's a very fun template I have used on prodo shards many times.

Hettar

Quote from: Calibretto on April 28, 2008, 10:22:21 PM
I wouldn't suggest going on foot (greater dragons)  without Ninja.^^

BAH !!!  You can go on foot just fine with the Greater Dragon, just ask Hettar...

Calibretto

Quote from: Aeryn Dwinrae on April 28, 2008, 10:48:00 PM
For a true ranger class, I would do this...

120 taming
110 animal lore
100 vet
120 archery
100 magery
100 med
70 chiv

Go elf and use stats of 85 str 100 int 70 dex.
That is assuming you would not be spending time in pvp. It's a very fun template I have used on prodo shards many times.

Whats Archery gonna do with no tactics?

Hettar

Actually, it can do more than ya think...I often run with no tactics on Toth

The problem here is no tactics AND no anatomy, thats not gonna do much other than a few points to help the pet.  Personally, I would either go Mage/Tamer or Bard/Tamer. 

I have played them all, even the Archer/Tamer template.  I now play pure Bard/Tamer with Magery.  Once you get the training completed it's a blast to play.  The training is the painful part.

Calibretto

Does it do like 5 damage?  Otherwise with the changes I see no use for archery.

Blind Otto

There is ONE workaround for that template that just might work.
Drop the archery, pick up/bless a REALLY good mage weapon bow, and substitute tactics or anatomy for the archery. Hey presto, mystic tamer archer.

Good luck finding a SCNP balanced mage weap bow that does decent damage though.

Vortex

Quote from: Calibretto on April 30, 2008, 11:40:57 AM

It does more than 5 for pvm, plus you missed the part that it has chivalry. Enemy of one and consecrate make that archery really nice even without tactics. More importantly though, Rangers are traditionally archers in lore.

Eowyn

120 tame, vet, lore, mage weave and med ? Word of death is great to get the kill shot on high end critters and if I am not mistaken gift of life on a pet with knight of compassion will rez it with 3/4 ths HP.
*wanders off to test this*

Eowyn

Ok tried it on my tamer with 85 weave and knight of compassion.
Both a packy and my nightmare rezed with 1/4 - 1/3  of there HP.
Mare has 315 HP and rezed with 111. I guess I need to play about with this a bit more since a bandaid rez on my pet brings it up redlined but a mage rez on a player brings them back with 3/4 of there HP...Ok just killed myself with GOL on and came back with about the same on my life bar as the pets with GOL.
Bahh GOL not influenced by virtues.
*wanders off grumbling*

Calibretto

Quote from: Aeryn Dwinrae on May 01, 2008, 01:46:37 PM
Quote from: Calibretto on April 30, 2008, 11:40:57 AM

It does more than 5 for pvm, plus you missed the part that it has chivalry. Enemy of one and consecrate make that archery really nice even without tactics. More importantly though, Rangers are traditionally archers in lore.

good for rp purposes then. I loved it on tamers before it req tactics to dismount.