NEW member template advice

Started by Hoffs, April 07, 2012, 01:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoffs

TheScottishHero

Hello!

On the topic of templates, perhaps you could help me too? :)

I've recently returned and currently have...

100 Hiding
87 Magery
70 Med
70 Eval
70 Resist
65 Stealth
65 Fishing
55 Ninja

In truth i'm not really sure where i'm going. I had originally created the character for PvM purposes and liked the idea of fishing for solo play, but at the moment i'd rather get involved in groups as well... UO is boring on my own :)

I recently acquired three soulstones and plan to drop Fishing for now, but what should my template change too? Pick up wrestling? Drop hiding / stealth for two other skills?

I'd like to help up in group PvM and perhaps re-learn PvP that i've forgotten over the years :)

Hoffs

Several options really. If you don't want to make drastic changes then you can keep the hiding/stealth along with the magery/eval/med/resist and you can assist in PvM and PvP. To be really useful though you would need to drop at least one of the sneak skills. Mystic mage is the big thing these days and is very good in PvM and PvP. And necro is excellent for spawns and still good for PvP, although is much harder to play than a normal mage in the latter discipline. For a pure mage, wrestle and scribe are good these days. You kind of lack finesse and tactical options, but your spells pack a real punch with the possible 40% SDI in PvP.

TheScottishHero

After some consideration, i'll be dropping Fishing to a Soulstone and dropping Ninja alltogether.

Gonna train up Wrestle over the coming weeks to stop me getting interupted so much, i'm then considering stoning stealth for Parry to give me some defense assistance at champs - although perhaps you suggest Scribe?

Hoffs

The scribe mage (magery/med/eval/resist/wrestle/scribe) is a pretty good PvP template since the PvP balance a while back, although it it lacks "creative options" in that capacity. Similarly, such a pure mage has been overtaken in PvM as you lack a really powerful area effect spell (earthquake is mana-intensive) and the EV is nothing like as powerful as a colossus. Also, for PvP you could just use a mage weapon instead of the wrestling skill, as most PvP mages do. It is good for general support, but not many people tend to pick this template these days.

The myst mage (magery/myst/focus/....) has been the flavour of the month since SA came out. It excels in both PvM and PvP thanks to the overpowered powerful healing abilities & the colossus, plus other spells.

The necro mage (magery/med/resist/eval/necro/ss) is fantastic at champ spawns and the wraith form allows you to leach mana so that you can keep spamming spells at powerful monsters. It was always useful at PvP, although more complicated than a standard mage.

Wolfman

Just as a comment from one of the sneakiest guys around:
100hiding
75 stealth
50 ninjitsu
get you out of almost any tight spot, be it PvM or PvP!

50 Ninjitsu for using smoke bombs (the true life-saver).
the other skills at that level so you never fail.

Just my 2 cents, since I am not a mage!

Adrianas

Quote from: Wolfman on April 09, 2012, 07:12:42 AM

Have you noticed they made some sort of change to how smoke bombs work?  I have found it *quite* annoying. 

From my perspective, the bombs just have not been working.  Someone else told me that there is now a 3 second delay between when you attack and when you can smoke bomb.  You haven't noticed this?  At first I thought my macros were messed up.  All I know is that all of a sudden, I cannot seem to get a smoke bomb to work when I need it.  Feedback on this one please!  Thx.

Never on the field of Sosarian combat was so much dished out to so many by so few-Void Pool 7/19/14

TheScottishHero

Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for all the feedback!

I was quite lucky that upon my return I was able to sell two 10 year vet rewards, I used this to get three soulstone and some cash :)

I'm going to work up Mage/Med/Eval/Wrestle over the coming weeks and keep hiding as my fallback while I cant afford to lose anything. I'm going to play with a few different skills to see what I like. The idea of a Necro / SS for champs sounds fun actually, i'll wait until I can afford another legacy token and then perhaps try it out!

If anyone would like to do some newbie PvM with me or such feel free to shout in general chat, looking forward to meeting some new folks upon my return :)

chazzooker

Chaz is always up for PvM.and can tank with a GD while u work your skills and loot.so if u see him around give him a holler ... 8)

Wolfman

Quote from: Adrianas on April 09, 2012, 11:07:45 AM
Quote from: Wolfman on April 09, 2012, 07:12:42 AM

Have you noticed they made some sort of change to how smoke bombs work?  I have found it *quite* annoying. 

From my perspective, the bombs just have not been working.  Someone else told me that there is now a 3 second delay between when you attack and when you can smoke bomb.  You haven't noticed this?  At first I thought my macros were messed up.  All I know is that all of a sudden, I cannot seem to get a smoke bomb to work when I need it.  Feedback on this one please!  Thx.

Well,......I never smokebomb 3 seconds after I attack. It takes me 3.75 seconds to take out my target. ;) But if they made changes I have to read up on this. Thank you for the heads up!

Hoffs

Quote from: TheScottishHero on April 09, 2012, 11:52:14 AM
If anyone would like to do some newbie PvM with me or such feel free to shout in general chat, looking forward to meeting some new folks upon my return :)

I would strongly suggest that you look into joining a guild. Even when the population was much greater, Siege has always been a lonely place for a solo runner. Meeting up with people is never easy outside of guild/alliance chat and Vent. and arranging hunts via general chat is a recipe for disaster unless you are careful.

The main guilds [other than O-S] are listed here, and I think all will take people of any level of experience.

TheScottishHero

Thanks Hoffs,

What's the appilication process for Gilfane like? I'll be honest in that I really am a casual player now due to my job, however i'd be interested in playing with like minded people.

Happy to mingle on the forums / ingame for now while people get to know me though!

Hoffs

For Gilfane, you just need to have an interview, with me preferably. If you haven't already done so, you should also read the General Rules of Conduct.

Reuggan

Quote from: Hoffs on April 10, 2012, 07:14:19 PM
For Gilfane, you just need to have an interview, with me preferably.

Bah, getting soft in your old age. In my day, you had to bring 1 million gold (in unmarked coins) and the scales of the great Ancient Wyrm. Now they let anybody in...

;)

Vortex

Quote from: Reuggan on April 10, 2012, 07:55:33 PM
Quote from: Hoffs on April 10, 2012, 07:14:19 PM
For Gilfane, you just need to have an interview, with me preferably.

Bah, getting soft in your old age. In my day, you had to bring 1 million gold (in unmarked coins) and the scales of the great Ancient Wyrm. Now they let anybody in...

;)

Actually, that was just for you, we really didn't want you in...