Total solar eclipse of 2017

Started by Hoffs, March 23, 2015, 08:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoffs

Just a reminder to all US residents of the total solar eclipse that will be visible on your shores on Monday 21st August, 2017 at around noon. Yes, that is two and a half years away. But it is never too early to start planning ahead for such an event. A total eclipse is something not to be missed if it is occurring just down the road from you.

The centreline of the eclipse runs from Oregon down to South Carolina (see this NASA site for an image of it). Although it travels across the whole country, the area of totality is very narrow. Outside this small band, the rest of the mainland will have a partial eclipse of some degree (down to 48% on the tip of Maine). But don't think that a partial eclipse is almost as good. A 99% eclipse is nothing like 99% the experience, more like the reciprocal: 1% as good. And much below 90% is not even worth bothering with and will barely be noticed. Nothing compares to totality.

So make a note in your diaries and consider where you might go to view it. Book time off work as soon as it is possible to do so!

Lore Denin

Very interesting.  What would be your (or anyone's) key factor when planning the trip - most likely to have clear weather, longest duration,  greatest coverage, or a location along the line that you'd visit regardless of the eclipse occurring, family or friends in the area?

Its marked on my calendar!

Lore 

Watchertoo

WOW ... that will pass almost directly over us :D ... Eclipse party at Watcher's house!

Lore Denin

Most of my travel budget is tied up into running so I've been searching for Sat/Sun races along the eclipse line... They don't set the dates until a year in advance but you can project withing a few weeks based on this years schedule... There are a few that look interesting that time of year in Watcher's woods.

-Lore

Hoffs

Quote from: Lore Denin on March 23, 2015, 11:14:51 PM
Very interesting.  What would be your (or anyone's) key factor when planning the trip - most likely to have clear weather, longest duration,  greatest coverage, or a location along the line that you'd visit regardless of the eclipse occurring, family or friends in the area?

I think most likely to have clear weather would be a key thing for me (or WILL be I should say, since we are planning to be in the US at the time), and I would always want to find a location with at least around two minutes of totality. Another consideration could be how easily you can relocate to a different location should the forecast for your chosen area be unfavourable on the morning of the event.

It is actually a very good decade coming up for the US, as there will be another one in 2024. Not that that should be an excuse to miss the first.

CharGar

The map is awesome Hoffs!  My niece and nephew live in Clarksville TN.  Looks like they will be in prime spot for viewing.  Im going to have to make sure to be there.!  Looks like Clarksville is only 100 miles away from greater duration and totality.  Here's the plan Hoffs.  Fly into Akron-Canton Airport.  Get a rental car.  Pick up Becca and I and we drive to their house.  :D

Troop

I saw a total eclipse in the mid 1990's while I was living in Rhode Island. If you have never seen one, I highly recommend it. It is strangely unique to experience one and you will never forget it.
Everything is better when you are wearing purple shoes.

Doive

Remember children, never look directly at the sun without special equipment!

Health & Safety Officer Doive signing off.

I missed the Eclipse in the UK last week but saw the last one in 1999. So I wasn't too upset.