Charybdis

Started by Hoffs, December 08, 2011, 05:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoffs

Today we ventured out to sea in the GS Rally to a location just west of Jhelom where the Oracle of the Seas (also known in mythology as the "Blue House Placement Tool") had prophesied that the monster Charybdis could be found. We anchored at the spot and began throwing various bait overboard to see if we could summon the beast from the depths, but alas it was to no avail. Becca then brought up some crates of old fish which had been rotting in the hold for nigh on two months. Desperately trying to avoid breathing in the foul stench, we enthusiastically dumped the slurry over the side, confident that the odour would attract our quarry. Alas, our hope quickly turned to disappointment when nothing but a few small sharks arrived to feast upon the foul flesh.

Fearing that we had no bait remaining that could come close to the potency of what we had already used, we prepared to up-anchor and return to land. But suddenly, the vessel's captain, Az, ordered everyone but he, Reuggan and Razz below decks. We obeyed the command and went down to the ward room to await developments. Above us we heard the sounds of a struggle followed by repeated retching noises. Shortly after, Az summoned me back on deck. I emerged into the daylight to find Reuggan lying prostrate in a pool of vomit whilst Razz was lying a few feet away, barefoot and rubbing his head. Before I could speak, a green-faced Az hurried up to me and thrust a fishing rod into my hands. Attached to the hook were Razz's socks weighted down with stones and I was suddenly overcome with such an intense feeling of nausea that it seemed as though my very guts were about to explode. Fortunately, Az thrust me over to the port side of the vessel and bade me cast the feculent hosiery into the depths before it was too late.

A palpable sense of relief settled over the party as the socks splashed into the water and sank below the waves. The rest of the crew had now emerged from the gun deck and we gazed over the rail to where the fishing line disappeared from view. Suddenly, a voice cried out from starboard. The sea there was bubbling and boiling and out of this maelstrom there arose a strange, grey blob from which several appendages were protruding.

"'Tis a giant facehugger from Alien," cried one of the crew, forgetting their genre.

Quickly, we prepared our defences and began readying enchantments and arrows. The dragons roared fire in the beast's direction and volleys of energy and missiles started to rain down upon it. But then, from all sides of the ship, huge tentacles emerged and began lunging at the crew. Our attacks were redirected at the new threat, but it seemed that as quickly as we beat them down, new ones appeared to take their place. Despite our numbers, it was difficult to fight the tentacles, heal the sick and attack the main beast all at the same time.

As we steadied ourselves to contain the attacks from all directions, the Rally was hit by a violent jolt which sent the whole crew tumbling to the deck and the vessel listing alarmingly to port. It quickly righted itself, but the impact had torn away the anchor and propelled the ship tens of yards to the left. As we recovered, we saw Charybdis rising up out of the water and then crashing its body back into the ocean. The manoeuvre displaced tons of water and sent a powerful wave toward the boat. Once again the ship shuddered as the wall of liquid hit. The mainyards creaked and cracked and the masts shivered before the force whilst the crew braced themselves upon whatever came to hand.

"This is sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet," cried a frightened member of the crew, who shall remain nameless.

The assault continued for countless minutes, but as it did the crew gradually adapted their tactics. These were tough cookies after all, fearless hunters who had taken on such horrors as the Bane invasion and the terrible moving True Harrower of Covetous. And some of those present had even survived the infamous Silvanus New Year party of 208. Gradually, the threat from the tentacles was contained and more and more attacks were being brought home onto Charybdis. Before long, numerous welts and lacerations were becoming evident on the beast's body. Sensing its danger, Charybdis moved off to the rear of the ship where the aft superstructure made it difficult for the crew to target it so effectively. It stepped up the assault from its mini-tsunamis and the ship groaned repeatedly amidst wave after wave of destruction. Timbers crashed to the ground and the air was alive with the sound of robands ripping and futtocks fracturing.

Nevertheless, Charybdis continued to take damage and its attacks gradually appeared to be weakening whilst Duke Ironfist gave orders to the sailors to try and bring the ship around slightly to aid targeting. After many more minutes of fierce fighting, Az steadied himself on the poop deck and intoned the word "Nyraxle". A horrfic shriek rang out from Charybdis as the word of destruction hit him, followed shortly after by identical invocations from Becca, Izabo and Reuggan. It seemed the end was near and the other members of the crew had only to keep the tentacles at bay until the spellweavers had finished off the creature.

But then an ear-splitting groan filled everyone's ears. All the crew were thrown across the deck and even the dragons appeared momentarily dazed. The fore and mizzen masts snapped with a thunder-like sound and their sails and rigging swamped the deck. Even more ominously, from the orlop down below came the unmistakable sound of seawater rushing into the hold. The Rally had gone aground, forced onto the rocky shores of North Jhelom island by the repeated battering from the waves. The crew picked themselves up and tried to clear the wreckage from the deck whilst continuing to battle the tentacles that were still wrapped around the hull. Charybdis, meanwhile, was maintaining station further out at sea, safely out of range of the spellweavers. The situation onboard the ship was becoming untenable, and with no way of appreciably fighting the monster, Az was preparing to give the order to abandon ship. But just then another sail appeared along the shore. Nessa raised her eyeglass and peered out in its direction.

"It's a Gilfane ship," she announced excitedly. "The Alcor!"

The crew cheered as the galleon was brought alongside their stricken vessel, and Az transferred his command to the new ship.

"Take her out," he announced, "It's time to fry some fish!"

If Charybdis knew any fear, it did not have long to endure it. It sent out fresh waves to try and stop the new ship, but in his weakened state they were not enough to stop the undamaged newcomer. As they closed in, the spellweavers simultaneously intoned their words of death, and the monster gave out a final screech before falling lifeless onto the sea, the remaining tentacles with it. The crew of the Alcor gave out a final resounding cheer.

"Long live the White Council!", they cried.

From the disintegrating corpse of the monster we pulled several unusual types of meat along with a strange item of armour with mysterious properties. It was agreed that the artifact should be donated to the Gilfane Museum for public display.

Adrianas

Fabulous writing, Hoffs!  I wish Stratics News would pick it up.  Congrats on winning the battle!

And now we know - should this ever be attempted again, have multiple ships standing by and hit it with the entire fleet!

Never on the field of Sosarian combat was so much dished out to so many by so few-Void Pool 7/19/14

Reuggan

*goes to take a shower*
*takes robe to the dry cleaners*

Rothen

I really enjoyed reading that Hoffs.  Too bad you were not able to regain possession of that hosiery!  Sounds like it was museum-worthy as well!!

Hoffs

Quote from: Rothen on December 08, 2011, 09:03:55 PM
Too bad you were not able to regain possession of that hosiery!  Sounds like it was museum-worthy as well!!

Hmm, I very much doubt we would have had any further visitors.

Tjalle

Branwyn of Errol

Most entertaining tale of adventure.

ii & Sabin