A Possible Return

Started by Guinness, November 24, 2019, 05:15:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guinness

Hello old friends. I have an itch to enter the lands once again. This time I'd be bringing my son along, who is 15 now and remembers me playing when he was younger and always wanted to join me.

The first challenge is accessing my old accounts, which I will try to accomplish tomorrow afternoon. Next, will be for us to find a room to board in while we get acclimated to the game.

What else do I need to know? Hope to talk with you all soon!

-Sir Gui'ness

Creeger

Welcome back!

There is a [NEW] guild that you can join for 30 days. Doing so will get you access to some help and take a little heat from the PKs off of you for a month. Just ask in general chat for NEW.

Also, I'd recommend going to the Britain Moongate and following the trail of flowers to the Northwest. They will lead you to the HUB. The HUB had teleport tiles to most anywhere, and most people respect the house rules there, so it's a safe-ish place that anyone can get to quickly.

Enjoy your return, and don't hesitate to ask other questions as they come up.   

Guinness

Hi Creeger and thank you for the welcome!

Are there any older players that may still have my old ICQ name or number? I was not successful in my guessing.

Also, what chat tool are most using these days?

Creeger

We use Mumble. There's a, cleverly named, "public" Discord server that some use, but it's controlled by Vice. Vice is the most established PK guild/alliance on Siege, so you won't catch me on the "public" Discord...

They have added a global chat feature to the game. I think some use it, as well.

Sara Dale

Welcome back...  Don't worry about housing we can always manage something.

Put your son in NEW.   Things have changed a lot so it will be like starting all over again with you, but this way you can learn with your son.

Guinness

While I wait forever for the client to load...here's a pic dated 3/26/2011. Does anyone recall the date we moved Gilfane from Malas to Skara? This, obviously is sometime after the move.

Shalimar

Welcome back to Siege. It's possible I have your icq but wouldn't be able to find it without knowing your icq name, I have a lot of old GIL players listed, but if your icq name is Guinness then I don't have it.

If you want to put your son into NEW for a month or so, just give us a shout in game or I can leave my icq on and Becca or someone can let me know.
Shalimar Guildmistress of NEW

Kael

I believe that your ICQ is 278088389. Good to hear from you again bud !

Shalimar

I have that number but says [deleted] for some reason, no name to it, just a pic of two doggies.

Tjalle

Welcome back, Guinness.
I wasn´t sure if I recognized your name or not. Reading your pic post I guess I do back in the head...

Were you in GIL or CWS?

Guinness

Quote from: Tjalle on November 25, 2019, 11:02:29 PMWere you in GIL or CWS?

I was in GIL. I remember you, I have an old guild list with your name on it, lol. I even have my chest from when I graduated NEW—it was in my bank box, thankfully.

Actual name in game is Gui'ness on my main.

Edit: if you search the forums for "Guiness" (I had dropped one "n" to match my game tag closer) you will find some of my old posts. My old profile was deleted and I started a new one now.

Guinness

Quote from: Shalimar on November 25, 2019, 08:14:59 PMI have that number but says [deleted] for some reason, no name to it, just a pic of two doggies.

That's me for sure! Though I'm not sure whey they deleted it. When I try to access it it says "password cannot be recovered."

Is there a list of ICQ numbers on this forum that I can add to a new account?

Shalimar

You can get your old number back. The same thing happened to me and quite a lot of other people. Since I am affiliated with NEW, and a lot of folk had my number, I wanted it back.

You have to contact those at ICQ, explaining that your password won't work anymore (mine was working fine one day and that evening it just stopped) then they ask you for a few names & numbers on your old list. After that, they ask you to have a few on your list message them to confirm it's your ICQ account. The last thing they ask for is a mobile/cell number and they tag that to your account. I didn't want to give them my usual everyday number so I bought a cheap phone and gave them the number from that. It's a palaver but if you want your original number back you can get it.

Guinness

Quote from: Shalimar on November 26, 2019, 10:54:07 PMYou can get your old number back...

Alas, I tried but they told me it was deleted and no possibility of retrieving it per their TOS. 😔

I started a new one and will have to add contacts as I go. 😐

Feel free to add me! @Guinness (624190885)

Shalimar

Quote from: Guinness on November 27, 2019, 10:48:04 PM
Quote from: Shalimar on November 26, 2019, 10:54:07 PMYou can get your old number back...

Alas, I tried but they told me it was deleted and no possibility of retrieving it per their TOS. 😔

I started a new one and will have to add contacts as I go. 😐

Feel free to add me! @Guinness (624190885)

That's a pity, they must have a time frame between making a person update ICQ and deleting their account altogether. I had come back to UO and had been using my original ICQ account when it happened to me so managed to retrieve it after going through their hoops.

The good thing about getting your old account back is that you have your old list of contacts. The bad thing about getting your old account back is that when adding someone new to your list you have to enter a phone number for them (I believe they make us update to the newest ICQ version, at least that's my experience) which I'm not comfortable asking for, so people have to add me rather than me add them. Are you able to add to your list without asking for phone numbers? If so, mine is 9-626-593 (Elaine)

Old versions of ICQ are much better and less invasive than the newer ones.