(ot) Google Duplex

Started by Hoffs, May 09, 2018, 06:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoffs

For those interested in these things, Google has been making astounding progress with their AI tech of late, such as their AlphaZero chess program which recently annihilated the world's leading conventional chess program after merely been given the rules of chess and then having a few hours to learn the game by playing against itself. This is a brief video from the latest Google keynote conference which shows how AI tech will soon be impacting people on a daily basis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5VN56jQMWM

And while I am posting, this is what your mobile phones may be like in 5-10 years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnfwClgheF0

Finally, here is a much longer piece from a few weeks back. This is link which has a podcast interview with George Church, one of the world's leading (and probably the best known) geneticists. It is quite long and slightly technical, so don't bother unless you have time and are really interested in this kind of stuff, but some may find it interesting as it gives indications of some of the things that are very, very, very close in that field:

https://boingboing.net/2018/04/03/the-astounding-present-and-diz.html

Blind Otto

There certainly have been some interesting developments lately. I have to wonder what UO would look like if some of these devs were let loose on the NPC and monster AI.
We probably wouldn't stand a chance!

Sarah

We have google home devices. We can turn our lights on and off with a simple request and adjust the temp in the house that way also. So many things we can ask it and it can help us out if we forget or just need to know something. I love it. We just recently bought new phones. We got the Google Pixel 2XL. It has the assistant. I haven't learned what all it can do yet, but it sure is fun. It is amazing all that they are coming out with.

Creeger

Blind Otto

OK Google, keep me healed on this dungeon crawl!

Hoffs

Quote from: Blind Otto on May 10, 2018, 06:03:47 PM
OK Google, keep me healed on this dungeon crawl!

*Googletailor 2000, equpped with leather and shoe laces, obediently follows*

Sarah

Me: Ok Google, shoot and reload these cannons every time we pass a pirate ship.
Google (postulant): Would you like me to use grapeshot or cannon balls?

Hehe...just wait till tomorrow... :P

Ian James

Well, Google is adding it's creepy AI to the youtube streaming music service:

"YouTube Music hopes to stand out from the streaming crowd by offering more customized listening experiences, using Google Assistant to make music recommendations based on everything it knows (and can learn) about you and your listening habits. YouTube Music will pay attention to where you are and what you’re doing in order to offer the best possible soundtrack to your life. It may sound creepy to some, but Google believes that its ability to harness the power of artificial intelligence will help the new service catch up to its rivals in the music streaming business. When you arrive at the gym, for example, YouTube Music will offer up a playlist of hard-hitting pump-up jams (if that’s your thing). Late at night, softer tunes will set a more relaxing mood. "
Ian James, Alexus, Arithan, Bloody Bob

Sarah

Just when you thought no one was there, you finally have some private time. Nope.  Google assistant...is listening.....do do   do do   do do   do do  ...you are entering the twilight zone.